How to Choose an Air Conditioning System to Cool your Portland/Vancouver Home
When choosing an air conditioning system for your Portland/Vancouver area home, it helps to understand a few fundamental facts.
An air conditioner works like this: a compressor is used to pump refrigerant back and forth to extract heat and moisture from inside the home. This heat and moisture is transferred to the outside and replaced with cooler air.
Modern cooling systems share the same ductwork with the heating system for distributing conditioned air throughout your home. They may also share the same pump, which is used to distribute the conditioned air through the ducts and into the rooms of your home.
The following are some of the modern cooling systems available:
- Packaged heat pump systems, or all-in-one heat pumps systems, include most of the cooling and heating units housed in a single cabinet. To deliver the best efficiency, performance, and climate control, the heating and cooling coils should be similar in size. When heating, cooling, and air-handling functions are centralized in one unit, a packaged heat pump system ensures the comfort of your home.
- Another option is central heating and cooling systems, which are separate units matched to work together – often called a ‘split system’. A central heating and cooling system includes an outdoor cabinet with a condenser coil and compressor, along with an indoor evaporator that is installed in conjunction with the furnace and heat pump.
- There are also wall-mounted, ductless cooling systems that merge smoothly into a room’s design. Ductless cooling systems offer energy efficiency, savings, quiet operation, and deliver clean air through air-purifying filters that reduce the generation of mold and odors.
At First Call Heating & Cooling, we have a long history of helping Portland/Vancouver area homeowners make the right cooling choices to keep their homes comfortable throughout the warm seasons. We offer independent, unbiased advice to help you choose a cooling system that is ideally suited to your home and lifestyle.
Contact First Call Heating & Cooling to schedule a review of your home’s cooling system and determine whether it’s time to upgrade.
Understanding the Options for Cooling your Home
Selecting an air conditioning system that is ideal for your Portland/Vancouver area home is an important investment in your comfort and your home’s overall value. A cooling system also plays a key role in keeping your home’s energy expenses under control as well as keeping your family comfortable during the hot summer months.
When choosing a cooling system, keep the following things in mind:
- Choose a unit that is the right size – a good contractor will be able to measure your home and determine the optimal size required to cool your home.
- Choose an energy efficient unit – today’s air conditioner manufacturers are required to evaluate their equipment’s energy efficiency and provide energy ratings.
- Choose the right contractor – when it comes to HVAC contractors, choose one who is knowledgeable, experienced and has a good record for customer service.
- Install a programmable thermostat for your cooling system to ensure the temperature remains comfortable when you are home and adjusting the temperature when you are away, thus saving money over the long term.
First Call Heating & Cooling is a PGE-approved contractor offering the best heating and cooling systems in the Portland and Vancouver area. Our certified technicians understand that energy efficiency is important – especially in these times of rising utility bills. We will work with you to identify the right cooling system for your family. Our team has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau!
Contact First Call Heating & Cooling to book a consultation to review your cooling system. We can evaluate your current system, if needed recommend repairs, or install the right cooling system for your home. We’ll be there to maintain your cooling system for years to come.